It can be challenging to find new ways of making healthy food interesting and delicious. Dr. Karlin has created most of the recipes listed below and will continue to add more recipes over time. Check back to the blog page to see new ideas as they are created. Try adding these to your diet when you are wanting to some tasty and healthy new treats to your menu! Enjoy!
Yummy Healthy Snacks:
One of my favorites! *vegan, sugar free
1 cup raw Cashews
1/2 cup Lemon Juice
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp Vanilla
Stevia to taste
1 -2 T. Water or to desired consistency
pinch sea salt
Place in blender until smooth.
Serve w/strawberries & apple slices
Almond Coconut Drink *vegan, sugar free
Soak almonds for 2 hours
Peel coat and blend with fresh coconut water from young coconut.
You can use the meat of the coconut too.
Be careful, it’s so delicious you may drink too much!!
Kale Chips *vegan, sugar free
2 bunches kale
Juice of 2 lemons
1 cup soaked cashews/almonds (peeled) or 2 T flax seed oil
½ tsp Himalayan sea salt
½ tsp paprika
¼ tsp cayenne
½ cup or 1 bell pepper
1 tsp ginger juice
2 T parmesan cheese (or nutritional yeast)
Blend in Vitamix and coat onto kale – dehydrate!!
Remove and discard stems from kale. Tear kale into bite size pieces. Working in batches, toss kale into the bowl with the liquid and keep tossing with your hands until each piece of kale is thoroughly coated. Squeeze off extra liquid and place kale in a single layer on a dehydrator screened tray fitted with a teflex sheet. Continue with remaining kale. (You should have enough kale to cover 7-8 dehydrator trays).
Place kale laden dehydrator trays in the dehydrator set at 145º and dehydrate for 2 hours.
Lower the heat to 118º and dehydrate for another 4-6 hours.
Remove kale laden dehydrator trays from dehydrator. Kale will be slightly stuck to teflex sheets. Flip teflex sheets over and place face down on dehydrator trays. Gently peel the teflex sheets from the kale,* leaving the kale directly on the screens of the dehydrator trays and dehydrate for another 1-2 hours. When done kale should be completely dried and reduced in size by half.
Store in an airtight container.
* If you try to peel the kale from the teflex sheets instead of peel the teflex sheets from the kale, the kale will shatter in your hands. So, flip the teflex sheets and peel the teflex sheets from the kale!
• Maybe try some curry powder instead of, or in addition to, the paprika. If you like spicy foods, maybe add a 1/2 teaspoon cayenne.
- Try using a few sprigs of very fresh (i.e. you picked it in your garden this morning) rosemary …when dehydrated nibble the leaves off the stems. Delicious!
Yummy Healthy Desserts!
Coconut Cashew Truffles: *Vegan, sugar free
2/3 cup coarsely ground cashews
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 T. tahini
1 dropper chocolate stevia or to taste
2/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
4 oz. apple juice
Soak the coconut in the apple juice.
Cream together the tahini, vanilla and stevia.
Stir in the soaked coconut and unsweetened cocoa.
Roll into balls and roll shredded coconut on outside. Place in freezer for 1 hour to solidify and serve. Yummiest treat without sugar…. ever!! :o)
Balsamic Fudge Cookies *No eggs, gluten free
Made using my absolute favorite balsamic vinegar that tastes amazing!
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried cherries
- 3 tablespoons Calivinegar Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 cup quinoa flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup room temperature coconut oil or avocado oil (I use half and half)
- 7 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup raw turbinado sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar- can use a little less and it is still sweet!
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt (plain greek or nonfat)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a small, microwave-safe bowl, combine cherries and 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar and microwave for 30 seconds, until hot. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. In a large, microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter in the microwave. Stir in cocoa powder and sugars and mix until well blended. Stir in yogurt, remaining balsamic vinegar and vanilla extract. Add flour and mix until just combined. Stir in cherries.
- Drop tablespoonfuls of batter onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Press down slightly to flatten. Bake at 350F for 9-12 minutes or until set and slightly firm at the edges. Allow to cool on the pan for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Credit: Baking Bites: https://www.calivirgin.com/fudge-cookies
Other balsamic recipes found here: https://www.calivirgin.com/recipes
Vanilla Ice Cream: *Sugar Free, can be Dairy Free
1 cup cream
½ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk or unsweetened soymilk
1 T. vanilla, vanilla cream stevia to taste.
Place in ice cream maker and serve.
For fruit options:
Optional: 1 cup frozen mango, blueberries, strawberries, banana
For Chocolate Ice Cream:
1 cup cream
1/2 cup unsweetened chocolate almond milk or soy milk
2 T. unsweetened ghiradelli chocolate
Chocolate stevia to taste (1 – 2 droppers)
Chocolate Milk-Free Shake *vegan, sugar free
Delicious treat to satisfy a sugar craving!!
1/2 or 1 frozen banana
1 cup unsweetened soymilk/almond/etc..
1 or 2 T unsweetened cocoa
½ or 1 dropper chocolate stevia or to taste – careful because too much won’t taste good!
5 ice cubes
Blend all ingredients and enjoy!
Vegan Chocolate Cake *vegan
NO gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, corn or sugar!!! Wow!!
2 cups brown five flour or sorghum flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1.5 teaspoons baking soda
1.5 teaspoons xanthan gum or guar gum or 1/4 ground chia seeds.
1/2 spoon sea salt
1.5 cups boiling water
1 cup prunes
1/2-3/4 cup virgin coconut oil (depends on how thick you want it)
1 cup maple syrup or agave nectar
2 T. apple cider vinegar
1 T. vanilla
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 9-inch cake pans.
In a medium sized bowl place the brown rice flout, tapioca flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and sea salt; mix together well with a fork or wire whisk.
Place the prunes in a small bowl and pour the boiling water over them (if using chia seeds – add them in here). Let stand for about 10 minutes.
Place the prunes and water into a blender or Vita-Mix and add the coconut oil, maple syrup, water, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla. Blend until very smooth. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well, though be careful to not over mix.
Immediately pour batter into prepared pans. Bake for about 25 minutes. Let stand for a few minutes in the pan and then gently invert onto a wire rack to cool. Let cool completely before frosting.
Sugar-Free Vegan Frosting
1 cup cocoa powder
¾ cup coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup maple syrup
Process all ingredients in a food processor or blend until smooth and creamy. Chill and apply to cake!